Saturday, August 15, 2015

Sometimes You Don't Find What You're Looking For

     Last Sunday I went for a walk at Heritage Ranch. I described Heritage Ranch here.

     My intention was to try to see some birds and maybe get some photos.  Heritage Ranch is scenic so I thought I might get photos of the area.
   
     There were huge cumulus clouds on the horizon so I thought I might find a good position for a photo.

     Well, I didn't find what I was after. I got led astray. Sometimes you run into other things and get sidetracked from your original goal.

     First, I was surprised to see so many late blooms in the meadow area and in the brush beside the river. Next, some horses looked as if they wanted to be photographed. The horse photos led me to find other horse photos.

     So with these two things getting in my way I saw few birds and forgot about landscape. I did see pelicans soaring on some good updrafts. 

     Now I like plants but I haven't put in the effort to identify them. Some of these I know and some I was able to find in the guidebook. I hope you enjoy what I found.






 I think this is potentilla that got away.


     
Oh I did get some cloud!

I did get a landscape.

33 comments:

  1. It looked like a great day for picture taking. No birds but still wonderful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a good afternoon to be out.

      Delete
  2. Some lovely summer scenes.

    After those clouds I showed on my blog we never got any rain! I'm so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We had heavy rain here Friday night.

      Delete
  3. It's always easy for me to get distracted by flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and if you'd come along with me I would know all the names of these flowers.

      Delete
  4. Hi Red, Yes, I sure enjoyed the pictures. And, wow! ... that is quite a cloud in the next to last photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was disappointed as I hoped it would build more than it did.

      Delete
  5. A busy day the only flower i recognise is the Harebell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right on hare bell so I'll have to look it up and see which one it is.

      Delete
  6. There is so much in Nature to draw us away from our original plans of just concentrating on maybe one or two things, that it is hard to pass up an opportunity such as this and just start "clicking", eh. You got some real nice shots there Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to one day sit in one spot and watch for whatever comes along.

      Delete
  7. I never know the names of the plants, so I can't help you, I just enjoy looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also have some different plants so it makes it harder.

      Delete
  8. That day can change fast sometimes. Everything around me catches my attention, and I expand on that ideal. I have a number of local field guides that help me identify my finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a really good field guide but I need more experience in using it. I need to be able to recognize a certain shaped leave and so on.

      Delete
  9. I used to go out with a specific photographic theme in mind. Now I just take my camera and shoot what catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I usually end up taking whatever is there.

      Delete
  10. I know how it is to be sidetracked when I think I know what I'm going to photograph. I love that cloud, by the way. Nice job, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have to be pretty focused to look for one thing. I do want to sit in one spot some day and take what ever goes by.

      Delete
  11. Very nice images, especially that cloud. Wow! That is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like your idea of getting side-tracked! hoping to see the horses, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like those pretty little violet flowers. The cloud is my favorite and the lanscape is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hubby thinks 90% of gardening is removing overgrown stuff and weeds! I know he is right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Red,

    I enjoyed your pictures. Thanks for showing. Scenic is beautiful near you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely day to be out and about, Red!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Serendipity is fun! Even if they aren't what you intended to see, you say some beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots Red, I love it when I set out to do one thing and get so sidetracked I forgot what I set out to do! It sure keeps life interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice photos, Red!! My bees are all over the goldenrod and alfalfa blooms right now.

    ReplyDelete