Thursday, March 2, 2017

IN LIKE A LAMB

    Here, March definitely came in like a lamb. Wind was light and it was clear. It got nasty in the afternoon with lots of wind. However, when March arrived it was nice. I should mention it was minus 16 C (plus 2 F).

    Now I like weather sayings and once in awhile I will look for their origins. Origins usually turn up some interesting information. I couldn't say facts or even fake facts but I'd be wrong. Research has uncovered various theories as to why we have special weather sayings. Origins are ancient. They may have a religious aspect. Many refer to agriculture. Others refer to stars and constellations in the solar system.

    Origins for in like a lamb go far back and come from various sources. The Leo constellation is high in the sky in March. Some think this influenced the lion part. In many places lambs were born at this time of year. In like a lamb sounds better than in like a kid! Religious beliefs come into play as well.

    One thing I notice is that the sayings like groundhog day have a  European origin. So I sometimes wonder if the southern hemisphere has the same sayings or do they have their own which apply to their schedule? I'm looking for comments from some Australian followers. I'm sure there are many sayings for African weather. Are any of them the same as what we have?

   There are other weather sayings that are not common and we don't know about them.

   So do you pay attention to weather sayings? Do you like the sayings?

    The photos are from Mar. 21 2013.





25 comments:

  1. It was not a bad day yesterday in Vancouver so I guess March came in like a lamb. But it is raining today. Also, 40 cm of snow is going to be dropped on the Coquihalla Highway between Hope and Merritt today and tomorrow. I hope there are no more road closures. What a wild winter it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , you've had your share of snow. My son keeps me informed. You also had an earthquake last week to.

      Delete
  2. We have had little snow so I expect to see a lion soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might pay for little snow with a nasty piece of weather.

      Delete
  3. Wowza! We still have a fair amount of snow, except deep in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Red, My favorite saying about the weather is not about conditions but rather an overall view. “Some people are weatherwise, and most are otherwise.” Benjamin Franklin said that. How do you like that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like sayings like that. How about "red sky at night, sailor's delight"? Any truth to it? And we had a pretty nice day at the beginning of the month, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were you the guy behind RED sky at night a shepherd's delight/ RED sky in the morning a sailor's warning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! I'm not a sailor! I'm a prairie boy!

      Delete
  7. Done, done, done with winter, and we did not even get a winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might get a big surprise before it's all over.

      Delete
  8. And it'll go out like a lion. We had rain the first day of the month, but the temps dropped after, and we've had more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The old weather sayings jump into my head all the time! When you grow up hearing them on a continual basis they become ingrained. My favourite is "red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky in the morning, sailors take warning" ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Older and rural people use these sayings. Rural people spend most of their time outdoors.

      Delete
  10. I do think about them occasionally as a substitute for our TV scientific TV weather persons who get it wrong as often as right...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my forecasts off internet sites.

      Delete
  11. Portland weather is hard to predict because we're affected by the Columbia Gorge, mountains and oceans. A common saint is: If you don't like the weather in Portland just wait five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The west coast has had a wild winter. My son lives in VAn B.C. so I hear about the weather.

      Delete
  12. March came in like a lion over here. February was amazingly mild and dry, and March has come in very cold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is to difficult for me in a foreign language. Next time better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I confess that I really want your snow :) send some to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember a Japanese friend of ours asking why we would say, "It's raining cats and dogs." Hmmm... I shall have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete